Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

9th Birthday Cake  Clip Art

No its not my birthday just yet, but I am excited to say that I have decided on what I want for my birthday this year!

I want the ladies in my family to run a 5km race - doesn't that sound like fun? 

You may think this is a bizarre request but let me give you some history on it.  After Christmas in 2010 I proposed to my immediate family that maybe we could, going forward, tone down the money spending at Christmas in hopes of focusing more on the true meaning of Christmas (celebrating Christ not celebrating each other), however on the flip side they could (if they so choose) go hog wild for birthdays.

I decided that for my birthdays going forward I would like to do something special every year, something new that I had never done before and that I would drag the other ladies with me.  So last year we went to the Marilyn Denis Show in Toronto. 


Here we are at the Marilyn Denis Show last May in celebration of my birthday.  My sister-in-law was unable to attend so my cousin Rebekah gladly stepped in to take her place.
Left to Right:  Mom, Me, Cousin Rebekah, Marilyn Denis, Sister Heather



Last week I phoned my mom to tell her my great idea of training and running a 5km together in celebration of my birthday and she responded with something akin to "are you crazy - I'm not doing that!".  When I talked to my sister I was met with a small amount of resistance but by the end of the chat she was 95% convinced.  By time I spoke to my sister-in-law she had already heard the rumors and didn't require any convincing at all!  I am happy to say that everyone has come around and as long as we can find a race we can all run in then my birthday wish will come true!


We have decided to train for the race using the "Couch to 5km" method which can be found here.  It consists of three workouts a week for 9 weeks - starting off very slow with a gradual build. 


The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

My hopes is that we all get a little healthier from this endevour!


Anyway I am off to buy some new shoes - can't start off on the wrong foot with my old ratty runners!


No comments:

Post a Comment