Thursday, March 17, 2011

How to tie a bow tie

I've been meaning to do a post about tying bow ties but it kept slipping my mind until today my little guy finally tugged on his just right and it came undone.

Like most people in my generation I turned to the all knowing Internet to learn how to tie my first bona fide tie.  I found countless instructional pdfs. and videos, not many of which seemed very helpful.  I remember the writer of one of the tutorials wrote that to tie her first bow tie it took her two hours of gleaning over several youtube videos and a beer and she was pretty sure that it was the beer that finally allowed her to tie the bow tie.  While I did not resort to beer I did spend about an hour trying to tie my first tie and I finally resorted to enlisting the help of my husband, but let me tell you it was well worth it.

I hope to one day create my own bow tie tying video but until then here is one that I found helpful:


Here's to hoping you have happy tying and get it right the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 10th attempt.  As a word of encouragement, it gets easier!  I can now tie a bow tie without the instructional video in under a minute and I think to myself how in the world was this so hard before?

No comments:

Post a Comment